Why should you go to the trouble of making your own almond milk? Isn’t it easier to just buy a carton from the store? I mean, it’s everywhere these days! However, if you’re aiming for a real food diet, these highly processed milks definitely miss the mark.
Like most processed foods, store-bought almond milk contains stabilizers to improve shelf life and texture. These ingredients may make a more “familiar” product, but at what cost? Carrageenan is a very common stabilizer and is known to cause inflammation in the body—the very condition most of us are trying to prevent or correct through a healthy diet.
Real almond milk you make yourself is delicious, easy, and nutritious. You’ll know exactly what’s in it and once you try it, you’ll never be tempted by the processed stuff at the store again!
1 cup raw almonds (soaked overnight—see directions below)
4 cups filtered water
1/2 teaspoon Real Salt
1. Place almonds in a bowl with 2 cups filtered water and a 1/2 teaspoon of Real salt. The soaking process, including the salt, makes the almonds easier for the body to digestible and easier to blend.
2. Soak for 8-12 hours overnight.
3. Drain the soaked almonds in a mesh colander and rinse well.
4. Place almonds in a high speed blender (we love our Vitamix!) with 4 cups filtered water.
5. Blend on high for about 1 1/2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
7. Store your milk in a clean glass jar with a lid. Keeps in the fridge for up to 4 days.
8. Shake well before each use as milk will separate. (No nasty stabilizers, yea!)
Tip #2: If you prefer a thicker milk, try reducing the amount of water you add to the blender by 1 cup.
Tip #3: You can spread the almond pulp onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and dehydrate it in your oven on the lowest setting until completely dry. Use as almond meal in baked goods or run through the food processor for almond flour. Store in a tightly sealed container in a cool, dry place.
Yes, it is a two day process. Yes, it requires a little extra effort versus buying a carton of the processed stuff. However, the health benefits are enormous and the taste can’t be beat! Try making your own almond milk today and see how crazy delicious it can be!